Summer officially starts today! That means more free time and warm days to spend quality time with friends, family, and, most importantly, yourself. (I’m celebrating with some ice cold lemonade and a book!) Even if you only have your weekends free, there’s still lots of summer activities that you can do on a budget and have a blast. Here’s a small list of 15 ideas to help kick off your summer for relatively cheap!
Read a Book | Photo Credit: James Tarbotten via Unsplash
Tour a Cavern | Photo Credit: scott1346 via Flickr
Go on a Hike | Photo Credit: Lacey Raper via Unsplash
Host a Potluck | Photo Credit: Webvilla via Unsplash
Go Urban Exploring | Photo Credit: Steven Lewis via Unsplash
1. Read a Book (free!)
2. Tour a Cavern ($5 – 25): Schools are out, so you’re unlikely to end up on a tour with a bunch of fourth graders! Be sure to bring a light jacket!
3. Go on a Hike (free!)
4. Host a Potluck (cost of a dish or two)
5. Go Urban Exploring (parking costs, if required): How much do you really know about your locality? Walk around your local farmer’s market or visit some small businesses this weekend. You’re sure to find some unique items and maybe even your new favorite place to meet up with friends for some grub!
Pick Your Own Local Produce | Photo Credit: Viktor Hanacek via picjumbo
Visit a Museum | Photo Credit: Gratisography
Go to a Drive In Theatre | Photo Credit: Terry Shuck via Flickr
Try a New Hobby | Photo Credit: Alexander Shustov via Unsplash
Play in the Rain | Photo Credit: Thanun Buranapong via Unsplash
6. Pick Your Own Local Produce (depends on how much you pick, usually starting around $2/lb.): Tons of fruits and veggies are ripe for the picking in summer! Visit a local farm or orchard and grab some healthy, delicious snacks for a great price.
7. Visit a Museum (most only have charges for special exhibitions)
8. Go to a Drive In Theatre ($5 – 10)
9. Try a New Hobby (free!): Always wanted to bike on a trail, play the guitar, or go rock climbing? Summer is the perfect time to practice, practice, practice!
10. Play in the Rain (free!): We’re expecting quite a bit of rain this week in Southwest Virginia. Make the most of it and run around outside in your bathing suit — it’s like a free sprinkler!
Attend a Wine Tasting | Photo Credit: Viktor Hanacek via picjumbo
Go Stargazing | Photo Credit: Guillaume via Unsplash
Float the River | Photo Credit: dwehrs via Flickr
Take a Road Trip | Photo Credit: Viktor Hanacek via picjumbo
Have a Movie Marathon | Photo Credit: Meagan via Flickr
11. Attend a Wine Tasting ($20 – 25)
12. Go Stargazing (free!): When did you last lay outside on a blanket and just enjoy feel small among the stars? Grab a friend and head away from the city for some quiet time with the universe.
13. Float the River ($5 – 10 if you need to rent tubes)
14. Take a Road Trip (cost of gas)
15. Host a Movie Marathon (free): Feeling lost without the excitement of a new Harry Potter movie coming out this summer? Or are you like me and have just recently started watching Game of Thrones? Call up some friends, pop some popcorn, and prepare the couch for a good old-fashioned movie marathon! Check out Netflix’s TV shows if you don’t know where to start: Sherlock, Parks and Recreation, American Horror Story, An Idiot Abroad, the list goes on… thank me later.
What fun plans do you have for this summer? What are your go-to favorite summer activities? Let me know in the comments! xo